- The Mega Millions jackpot has been won – again.
- A lucky ticket in New York matched all six numbers to win the $20 million jackpot Tuesday night.
- Tuesday’s win follows the $1.348 billion Mega Millions jackpot that was won in Maine on Friday – which marked the second-highest prize in the lottery game’s history.
After not having been hit for months, the Mega Millions jackpot has been won in back-to-back drawings.
One ticket sold in New York in Tuesday’s drawing matched all six numbers to win the $20 million jackpot, according to the Mega Millions website. Tuesday’s winner can also choice the cash option of $10.6 million.
It’s a far cry from the $1.348 billion Mega Millions jackpot won in Maine on Friday.
In addition to the jackpot, a ticket sold in Massachusetts matched all five white balls and had the Megaplier to win $3 million.
The jackpot will reset again to the current starting value of $20 million for Friday’s drawing.
Meanwhile, the Powerball jackpot is at $439 million with a cash option of $237.3 million, according to the Powerball website.
Are lottery prizes getting bigger? Here’s why the jackpots have grown so large.
Mega Millions winning numbers: 1/17/23
The winning numbers for Tuesday night’s drawing were 2-12-18-24-39, Mega Ball: 18 and Megaplier was 3X.
When is next Mega Millions drawing?
Mega Millions drawings are held every Tuesday and Friday at 11 p.m.
How do I play Mega Millions?
The cost is $2 per ticket, but you can add the Megaplier for $1, which will increase the amount of your potential prize up to five times the original prize (except for the jackpot).
Each player selects five numbers from 1 to 70 for the white balls and one number from 1 to 25 for the Mega Ball. However, you can also have the lottery machine generate a random Quick Pick for you.
Prizes vary from $2 for the matching the Mega Ball to $1 million for matching all five white balls (except in California) to the jackpot for matching all six balls. You can check all the prize payouts on the Mega Millions site.
What do you do if you win the lottery? Here’s what you need to know.
You don’t need to be a U.S. citizen or a resident a particular state where you purchase your ticket.
Where can I play Mega Millions?
You can play the game in 45 states plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The states not offering Mega Millions are: Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada and Utah.
Many grocery stores, gas stations and convenience stores sell lottery tickets. Some states allow Mega Millions tickets to be purchased online, but beware of scam websites. Check with your state lottery for more details.
What are my odds of winning?
Playing the Mega Millions can be exciting, but just don’t go spending those millions before you win.
The odds of winning the jackpot are 302,575,350-to-1.
The odds to match all five white balls are 12,607,306-to-1.
What does a lottery’s cash option mean?
The major lotteries in the United States offer two jackpot payout options: annuity and cash.
The annuity option is paid out over time. There is an immediate payment and then 29 annual payments after that, increasing by 5% each year.
How much will Mega Millions winner get after taxes? $1.35 billion jackpot shrinks quite a bit
The cash option is significantly lower than the advertised jackpot, but it is paid in a lump sum. You don’t have to wait decades for all the money.
What was biggest Mega Millions jackpot?
Here are the Top 10 jackpots ever since the Mega Millions began in 1996:
- $1.537 billion, Oct. 23, 2018: Won in South Carolina
- $1.348 billion, Jan. 13, 2023: Won in Maine
- $1.337 billion: July 29, 2022: Illinois
- $1.05 billion, Jan. 22, 2021: Won in Michigan
- $656 million, March 30, 2012: Three winners in Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- $648 million, Dec. 17, 2013: Two winners in California, Georgia
- $543 million, July 24, 2018: Won in California
- $536 million, July 8, 20116: Won in Indiana
- $533 million: March 30, 2018: Won in New Jersey
- $522 million: June 7, 2019: Won in California
What’s everyone talking about? Sign up for our trending newsletter to get the latest news of the day
What was largest U.S. lottery jackpot ever?
Here’s a look at the top jackpots were won in the United States, between the Powerball and the Mega Millions lotteries:
- $2.04 billion, Powerball, Nov. 7, 2022: California
- $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016: Three winners in California, Florida, Tennessee
- $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018: Won in South Carolina
- $1.348 billion, Mega Millions, Jan. 13, 2023: Won in Maine
- $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022: Illinois
- $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, Jan. 22, 2021: Won in Michigan
- $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019: Won in Wisconsin
- $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017: Won in Massachusetts
- $730 million,, Powerball, Jan. 20, 2021: Won in Maryland
- $699.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 4, 2021: Won in California